Student Centered – not always comfortable, but necessary

“All learning begins with the Learner” – John Dewey

The other day,  I received an email from a student which initially made me uncomfortable. She stated that she found my homework assignment, “confusing” and “unnecessary” and that she has chosen to do something else (write a short story in blog format). How dare she. I worked hard on that homework assignment and I expected this to be done. I planned to talk to her in the morning.

As she entered the classroom, I wasted no time. I  looked at her  straight in the eyes and said,

“Congratulations. You self-advocated. You are making choices and directing your own learning and I am proud of you.”

That morning, when she entered the classroom, something hit me. Literally, I had to stop and sit down. This student, like the others, demonstrated exactly what I’ve been trying to teach – a student centered, self-advocating approach to learning. I hope it continues. I hope that other teachers give her a handshake when she questions her assignments and challenges projects. I hope that she continues to explore new ways to learn, to share, and to collaborate.

print

6 Replies to “Student Centered – not always comfortable, but necessary”

1. Wow! Not only do I think it’s great that this student is such a strong self-advocate, but I also think that it’s great that you would support her in being so. Those Grade 6 students are lucky to have you as their teacher.

I’m very interested in hearing what others have to say about your anecdote. Your story is not the norm, and your response is not the norm either. You are what we have all been told to be: a leader of leaders — the students being leaders here too! You should be commended in giving your students a voice.

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Student Centered – not always comfortable, but necessary | PIPEDREAMS -- Topsy.com

3. What gets me is that you work hard to get a student thinking this way and then she tries it in another class and quite likely gets slammed. In most schools you’ll be the only one, or one of a few, that would support this. You’re doing the right thing, your students is doing the right thing but the system is wrong. This post both depresses me and makes me happy. Maybe I should look into getting an additional personality.

4. Hi Tom, I have to admit – it scares me too. I sometimes wonder if by taking this approach, am I setting these kids up for disaster next year?. We educators need to be more open minded. The blog the student wrote instead of doing my homework is here: http://allison213.edublogs.org/

5. Hey Mrs. Pipe. You told me to read your post so I figured it was this one. And, yes it is really good for students to get a say in what they do for homework. I’d just like to remind you that Leah was also in this, and I was the one who gave her the idea. 🙂

But, for any teachers reading this right now, give your students a choice. Let them make up the homework, for any higher level students, -or lower level students at that- give them separate assignments. Sometimes, things teachers make up is (no offence) boring or not interesting enough. So for some, let them choose-like Mrs. Pipe did for me and my friend- but they can still do any at home projects and reading. Make it fun for them (as far as fun can go for homework I guess) and just give them a little more freedom.

Oh, and if you read a post on my blog (allison213.edublogs.org) and read my post about what I want to be when I grow up. To add to my first proffession, I would make sure that teacher do NOT give homework when I rule the Universe.

-Allison213 🙂

6. Mrs. Pipe, I would just like to commend you for supporting and encouraging your student for speaking up(self-advocating).

I think that was brave and admirable for both teacher and student to do what they did; and it brings teacher and student relationship to another level of communication that should be appreciated and recognized.

Kathy W.